> Community Update July 6th
Eviscero
post Jul 6 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #1

Community Menace

Group: *AHz* Admin
Member No.: 3

Hey AHz,

In light of the recent news update; I'd like for our community to read it and comment here in this thread with your thoughts & ideas.

Don't hold anything back, we want to hear it all. Good or Bad / Ideas or Criticisms.*

As always if you need anything specific, shoot me a pm.

-Evis
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J.D.
post Jul 6 2008, 01:58 PM
Post #2

Lieutenant General

Group: Members
Member No.: 234

Admin silence has been somewhat stagnant. Most of us don't even know who the admins are around here. At least this shows you still care
+Quote Post
Eviscero
post Jul 6 2008, 02:04 PM
Post #3

Community Menace

Member No.: 3

I do care (IMG:../forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

and I'm sure others do to.

+Quote Post
ToNKa
post Jul 6 2008, 02:25 PM
Post #4

Major

Group: *AHz* Contributor
Member No.: 565

My hope in coming back here after a huge hiatus was to play games with some familiar faces. The AHz servers were always a safe haven: the servers were virus- and silliness-free. That's all I'd like to see again, regardless of what game is played here, how many servers are up, etc. Heck, UO would be fine by me! (IMG:../forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
UncleBone
post Jul 6 2008, 02:30 PM
Post #5

Admin

Group: *AHz* Administration
From: New Jersey - 1176.24 Persons per sq mile and growing
Member No.: 1014

Still here, still care.
+Quote Post
Flipsen
post Jul 6 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #6

General

Member No.: 1083

nice
+Quote Post
Baphonaut
post Jul 6 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Brigadier General

Member No.: 1893

My initial suggestion would have been, a couple weeks ago, that all the keys to the castle be given from the old admins to the new admins. Especially given the TeamSpeak issue. But then realized it wouldn't make a difference if there's no server space to run anything, anywhere. (since loosing seekers old place as AHz's server home)

So, what's the plan for finding, renting, hosting, whatever, server space? If there's only 4 active admins (Jakl, Evis, UB, Gung) Is it even financially possible? (I know the amount of contributions is far lower then the amount of users here, or was) Where's the actual hardware that (I think) belongs to AHz?

If renting space in a colo is too expensive, have you ever thought of re-renting a portion of AHz's hardware out to others to absorb some of the cost? Just an idea.
+Quote Post
Skitzo
post Jul 6 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #8

Colonel

Member No.: 554

Thanks for the update/TS Evis. I have a feeling things will bounce back soon.
+Quote Post
JAKL
post Jul 6 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #9

Propaganda Minion

Member No.: 844

QUOTE(Baphonaut @ Jul 6 2008, 03:58 PM) *

My initial suggestion would have been, a couple weeks ago, that all the keys to the castle be given from the old admins to the new admins. Especially given the TeamSpeak issue. But then realized it wouldn't make a difference if there's no server space to run anything, anywhere. (since loosing seekers old place as AHz's server home)

So, what's the plan for finding, renting, hosting, whatever, server space? If there's only 4 active admins (Jakl, Evis, UB, Gung) Is it even financially possible? (I know the amount of contributions is far lower then the amount of users here, or was) Where's the actual hardware that (I think) belongs to AHz?

If renting space in a colo is too expensive, have you ever thought of re-renting a portion of AHz's hardware out to others to absorb some of the cost? Just an idea.

We're looking at ways to help the admins out with administrative costs. We're paying for the TS service at the moment, one so that we have something up and running so Bigbad doesn't have to keep using his server (thanks again), and two to give us time to work things out long term.

We're looking at implementing targeted ads (you'll see one on the homepage). You'll also see some in the future on the boards in the form of google ads. They will be as non-intrusive as possible because we don't want to take away from the site but at the same time should help to offset costs.

As for the game server, we'll have one again but we're going to wait until there's a demand for a new game that everyone wants to get behind. Then we'll ask for game admins again to help offset the cost as well. Frankly there's not enough admins to go around footing the bill for everything, especially if guys aren't using the servers. We tried putting up the COD4 server and frankly it wasn't used that much. So we're not going to just throw money at something guys aren't going to even use. BIA:HH comes out in a month and COD:WW later this fall. We'll see what you guys think and if you want to have a server tailored to the way we like to play, we'll throw one up. In the meantime log onto TS, raid other servers for whatever game you are playing at the moment, or just shoot the shit.

PK, Evis, Gung, UB, and I are talking about long term strategy for the site. Just know that we're not going anywhere and we appreciate those that hang in there with us during the transition. The guys that have stuck around are here for the community. That means admins and members alike. If you guys have other questions or opinions on where you think After-Hourz should go, by all means throw them out there. We don't mind differing opinions.
+Quote Post
DoomsDay
post Jul 6 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #10

Corporal

Member No.: 6034

QUOTE(JAKL @ Jul 6 2008, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Baphonaut @ Jul 6 2008, 03:58 PM) *

We're looking at ways to help the admins out with administrative costs. We're paying for the TS service at the moment, one so that we have something up and running so Bigbad doesn't have to keep using his server (thanks again), and two to give us time to work things out long term.

We're looking at implementing targeted ads (you'll see one on the homepage). You'll also see some in the future on the boards in the form of google ads. They will be as non-intrusive as possible because we don't want to take away from the site but at the
same time should help to offset costs.

As for the game server, we'll have one again but we're going to wait until there's a demand for a new game that everyone wants to get behind. Then we'll ask for game admins again to help offset the cost as well. Frankly there's not enough admins to go around footing the bill for everything, especially if guys aren't using the servers. We tried putting up the COD4 server and frankly it wasn't used that much. So we're not going to just throw money at something guys aren't going to even use. BIA:HH comes out in a month and COD:WW later this fall. We'll see what you guys think and if you want to have a server tailored to the way we like to play, we'll throw one up. In the meantime log onto TS, raid other servers for whatever game you are playing at the moment, or just shoot the shit.

PK, Evis, Gung, UB, and I are talking about long term strategy for the site. Just know that we're not going anywhere and we appreciate those that hang in there with us during the transition. The guys that have stuck around are here for the community. That means admins and members alike. If you guys have other questions or opinions on where you think After-Hourz should go, by all means throw them out there. We don't mind differing opinions.

Just a note on the last COD server. I believe it wasn't being used much because it was not showing up in the server list. Prior to the move, that server would get full almost every evening even with the lag spikes we kept having. I believe if you were to get it back up and get it in the server list, you would see more people showing up to play on it. Frankly, I have tried playing on other servers and I just wasn't having fun like I did when we were all on the same server. Half the fun was the taunting we could give each other while on TS. Knifing CAPO every chance you get was also a big plus (IMG:../forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

DD
+Quote Post
cableguy
post Jul 6 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #11

Lieutenant

Member No.: 1792

This sounds great for the future here, lets hope for the best.

@ Jakl
We don't mind differing opinions.

Your not hinting at a certain other forum are you. (IMG:../forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Ghost666
post Jul 6 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #12

Colonel

Member No.: 1902

I'm glad to hear there are some that are planning to stick things out here.

i too have fallen off from doing as much gaming as I used to. Family, job, kids....they all take up quite a bit of time and I simply don't have the time anymore.

But I do like knowing WHEN I have some time that I could bounce in here and find someone I actually know and like to play with. This will always be my first home and thought when i have time to tear it up.

So count me in during this and any other transition. I'll still be here.
+Quote Post
GaDawg
post Jul 6 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #13

Lieutenant General

Member No.: 395

I haven't been posting much lately for family reasons but this is still my gaming home. Once my personal life settles down, I'll be back in the gaming and hopefully can throw a little more financial support to AHGN. Otherwise, still lurking..... (IMG:../forum/style_emoticons/default/down.gif) (IMG:../forum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
dontfeedtheanimal
post Jul 6 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #14

Colonel

Member No.: 1631

Well, Verizon has been diligently wiring the new boxes near my house so I should hopefully have dsl sooner than expected (they said in December). When that's done I'll be back with a vengence. We're expecting boy #2 due at the end of Sept so I'll have to wait and see what the financial situation is like then.

In the meantime I'll still be lurking....
+Quote Post
cleveland steamer
post Jul 6 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #15

Brigadier General

Member No.: 458

still lurking...still waiting for the next cool WWII game we can get behind. Maybe Battlefield Heroes!
+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · After-Hourz News · Next Newest »

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th February 2009 - 08:53 PM